Company  HdQtrs.

Links & Resources

Blue Star Service

re-enacting information





& By-Laws


 historical information


Historical Documents


of War

Lexington Rifles

"Our Laws, The Commands of Our Captain"


Background Music:
"riding a raid"


Choose from the following hyperlinks to view the illustrated unit history.

1857-61     1862     1863     1864     1865     1866-Present



middle tennessee operations  

Winter 1863

By mid-January, the Army of Tennessee was in winter quarters, with Morgan’s cavalry guarding its front and flanks.  Due to the serious wounding of COL Duke during the Christmas Raid, the 2nd Kentucky was now under the command of LT-COL John D. Hutchinson and was encamped along the Murfreesboro Pike at Woodbury, Tennessee.

On January 24, LT-COL Hutchinson, with CAPT John Castleman as second-in-command, took the 2nd Kentucky to do battle with four enemy infantry regiments and an artillery battery that had been preparing to attack in the vicinity of the town.  It was one regiment against four -- the 6th and 24th Ohio, 23rd Kentucky (U.S.), and the 84th Illinois.  During the fight, the well-liked LT-COL Hutchinson disregarded his own safety by riding in full view and range of the enemy, resulting in his being killed by a shot to the head.  This unfortunate incident created a vacancy in the command of the 2nd Kentucky.  Despite some argument in the ranks about who should fill the vacancy, BRIG GEN Morgan chose CAPT James C. Bowles of Company C, based on his seniority.  CAPT Bowles, who had been a company commander in the “Old Squadron”, was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and given command of the regiment.

"Winter Scout" by Bob Graham    

As winter deepened, supplies in the Confederate Army grew scarce.  The cavalry, having been accustomed to movement and sufficient forage, was tied to stationary camps.  As a result, privation was suffered by both man and horse, and there was no relief in sight.  By spring, all of middle Tennessee was stripped of food.  Fortunately, however, with the weather clearing and the seasons changing, food and supplies began to flow again, allowing the cavalry to slowly return to condition.  During February, COL J. Warren Grigsby’s 6th Kentucky Regiment was added.         .

 Morgan's Cavalry Division
Re-organized: February 1863 
BRIG-GEN John H. Morgan

1st brigade
COL Wm. C. P. Breckinridge

2nd brigade
COL. Richard M. Gano

2nd Kentucky Cav Regt
LT-COL John D. Hutchinson

7th Kentucky Cav Regt
LT-COL J. M. Huffman

6th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL J. Warren Grigsby
8th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL LeRoy S. Cluke
9th Kentucky Cav Regt
LT-COL Robert Stoner
10th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL Adam R. "Stovepipe" Johnson
9th Tennessee  Cav Regt
COL Wm. Walker Ward
11th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL David W. Chenault



engagement at vaught's hill

Milton, Tennessee  
March 20, 1863

A Federal brigade-sized force, consisting of the 101st Ohio, 105th Indiana, 80th and 123rd Illinois Infantry, 1st Tennessee (U.S.) Cavalry, and a battery of the 9th Indiana Artillery, all under the command of Col. A. S. Hall, left Murfreesboro on March 18.  On March 20, they encountered Morgan’s cavalry force east of Milton at a place called Vaught’s Hill.  Morgan encircled the Federal position and attacked, but he was forced to withdraw before he could obtain a total victory.  He had learned that ammunition was low and reinforcements to the beleaguered Federal command were in route.  Casualties amounted to 62 Federals and 373 Confederates.  



skirmishes & picket duty

Spring 1863

Despite hardships and setbacks, by spring the 2nd Kentucky was stimulated to experience new challenges.  Their morale was boosted by the publication of a romance novel, "Raids & Romance of Morgan and his Men", and successful raids of renown that were being conducted by other cavalry units.  Another regiment, Col. D. Howard Smith’s 5th Kentucky Cavalry, was added to Morgan’s command, thereby bringing the total manpower to almost 3,000 men.

By April, Colonel Duke returned from his convalescence in Georgia to assume command of the regiment at a time when the enemy was constantly threatening south of Nashville.  To counter this, he kept the men in almost constant movement around Liberty and Smithville.  This led to several minor actions.  

On April 1, Col. Robert Minty, commanding the Federal 1st Cavalry Brigade, attacked.  Badly scattered toward McMinnville.  Constant motion Liberty – Smithville.   Picket duty along the Cumberland River to Stagall’s Ferry and Celina.

April 2-3 – skirmishes at Woodbury and Snow Hill, Tennessee. Skirmish and Saber attack by the 3rd and 4th Ohio Cavalry.  Co, C rear guard action – stand off.  Three weeks later, Liberty  losses included Capt. James Sale of Company E, and Capt. John Cooper of Company L. 

On April 21, Minty supported by infantry broke the picket line at McMinnville, attacked and nearly captured Morgan

May 26 – concentrated near Alexandria.  New horses, uniforms, weapons

May 28- Jun 19:  On the line of the Cumberland River.  HQ was Albany in Clinton County, Kentucky.



beginning the great raid

Kentucky Indiana Ohio  
June - July 4, 1863

In June 1863, the Army of Tennessee was in a desperate situation.  General Bragg was forced to divert men to help relieve the Federal siege at Vicksburg, Mississippi.  This left the army short handed to face the enemy in Tennessee.  In order to counter this disadvantage, Bragg sent Morgan on a diversionary raid to threaten Louisville.  And although Bragg had specifically ordered that this mission be limited only to Kentucky, Morgan was determined to strike for Indiana and eastward into Ohio.  He was aware that General Robert E. Lee was moving his forces into Pennsylvania, and it was Morgan’s intention to link up with Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.

For the purposes of the raid, Morgan was in command of a Division in Wheeler’s Cavalry Corps.  Morgan’s Division consisted of two brigades of cavalry and a battery of artillery.  Col. Duke commanded 1460 men in the First Brigade, while Col. Adam Rankin “Stovepipe” Johnson commanded 1000 in the Second Brigade.  Lt.-Col. James Bowles was unable to travel on the raid, so command of the 2nd Kentucky fell to Major Thomas B. Webber.  

Organized: July 4, 1861 
GEN Joseph Eggleston Johnston

Army of tennessee
Organized: November 1862 
GEN Braxton Bragg

wheeler's cavalry corps
Organized: March 1863
MAJ-GEN Joseph Wheeler

 Morgan's Cavalry Division
Re-organized: February 1863 
BRIG-GEN John H. Morgan

1st brigade
Basil W. Duke

2nd brigade
COL Adam Rankin "Stovepipe" Johnson

2nd Kentucky Cav Regt
MAJ Thomas B. Webber

7th Kentucky Cav Regt
LT-COL J. M. Huffman

5th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL D. Howard Smith
8th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL LeRoy S. Cluke
6th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL J. Warren Grigsby
10th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL George Washington Owen
9th Kentucky Cav Regt
LT-COL Robert Stoner
11th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL David W. Chenault
Byrne's Mississippi Art Btry
CAPT Edward P. Byrne
14th Kentucky Cav Regt
COL  Richard C. Morgan


After a series of delays, the raid began on July 2.  The columns moved north from Burkesville toward Columbia, with Johnson’s Brigade being sent to secure the bridge over the Green River at Tebb’s Bend.  A fight occurred at the Tebb’s Bend Bridge on the 4th of July against the 25th Michigan.  It resulted in 71 casualties that Morgan could ill afford to lose.  Among those losses were some of Morgan’s finest officers, including Colonel David Chenault of the 11th Kentucky.  Rather than continue the fight, however, the Brigade by-passed Tebb’s Bend and continued north through Campbellsville and on toward Lebanon, Kentucky.  



engagement at lebanon

Lebanon, Kentucky 
July 5, 1863

On July 5, both brigades assaulted Lebanon, which was held by the 20th (U.S.) Kentucky Infantry, commanded by Col. Charles Hanson.  Colonel Hanson was the brother of General Morgan’s old friend and State Guard commander, the late General Roger W. Hanson, who had been killed at the Battle of Murfreesboro. 

Due to the defensive positions in the town that needed to be assaulted, it was apparent that what was needed was a regiment experienced in street fighting, as had been done at Augusta.  The 2nd Kentucky was called upon by Colonel Duke to perform this duty.  The regiment attacked and carried the day with bitter close-in fighting.  They managed to capture 300 prisoners, but at a cost of 50 of their own men.  Among the dead was General Morgan’s 19-year old brother, Lt. Thomas Morgan.  He had been shot down while leading a charge and died in the arms of another brother, Calvin Morgan.  By the afternoon, the brigades were headed west toward Springfield and Bardstown, with Federal cavalry in pursuit.   



crossing the ohio river

Brandenburg, Kentucky – Mauckport, Indiana 
July 8, 1863

A detachment, led by Lt. George Eastin, was dispatched by General Morgan to ride eastward around Louisville to divert the enemy’s attention and to deceive them.  Skirting to the west of Louisville, the main columns moved to Brandenburg for the planned crossing of the Ohio River. 

At Brandenburg, two river steamboats, the "John B. McCombs" and the "Alice Dean", were captured and used to ferry the two cavalry brigades to the Indiana shore.  A short artillery duel occurred, however, when the Indiana Home Guard appeared on the north side of the river and opened fire with a 6-pounder artillery piece.  This drew an immediate response from Byrne's Battery on the Kentucky side of the river, which cleared the piece from the opposite shore.                                          


Packet River Steamer, "Alice Dean"                              Federal Gunboat, "USS Elk"                 

When a gunboat, the "USS Elk", appeared and began shelling Morgan’s men on both sides of the river, it drew another response from Byrne's Battery, which was posted on the bluff overlooking the river.  However, the gunboat suddenly and unexpectedly withdrew from combat, allowing the entire command to cross safely to the Indiana shore.



battle of corydon

Corydon, Indiana  
July 9, 1863

After a short rest, the command headed toward Corydon, fifteen miles north of the Ohio River.  Although Johnson’s 2nd Brigade led the order of march, the 14th Kentucky Cavalry was in the vanguard.  General Morgan had formed the 14th as a special command for his brother, Col. Richard Morgan, who had recently transferred from Virginia.  Company A of the 2nd Kentucky operated with the 14th because it was under strength.

On July 9, the raiders encountered a force of 450 of the enemy just south of Corydon. The Harrison County Home Guard, officially designated as the 6th Regiment, Indiana Legion, under the command of Colonel Lewis Jordan, had drawn a defensive battle line behind a hastily constructed barricade of logs.  This blocked the southern access to the town and forced Morgan’s brigades to outflank the Hoosiers in the only battle of the war that was fought on Indiana soil.

In the short, but spirited, fight at Corydon, Morgan’s men completely routed the militia.  Four of the defenders were killed, several wounded, and 355 captured, with the remainder escaping.  Morgan had lost 8 men killed and 33 wounded.  The prisoners were paroled and the town was ransomed.  The county treasurer and two stores were relieved of $1890, while contributions of $3000 were received from three area mills to save them from being burned.



raiding through indiana

July 10 - 12, 1863

From Corydon, the march continued northward to Palmyra, Salisbury, and Salem, where more contributions were received.  All along the way, railroad bridges, warehouses, depots, and trains were burned.  From Salem, the columns moved eastward to Canton, Vienna, and Lexington, unaware of the widespread panic they were creating. 

With pursuing Union cavalry still 24 hours behind, Indiana Governor Oliver Morton declared a state of emergency, and warnings were posted from Illinois to Indianapolis.  Skirting the town of Vernon, the 2nd Kentucky entered Versailles on July 12 and rested for a short time.  The command had marched, averaging 40 miles per day.  But, aware of the close proximity of their pursuers, they left for Sunman, about 15 miles from the Ohio line.



raiding through ohio

July 13 - 18, 1863

On July 13, the State of Ohio was invaded by Confederate troops for the first time during the war.  Governor David Tod declared martial law and offered the service of the Ohio Militia to the Federal military commander.  The 2nd Kentucky entered the town of Harrison without encountering resistance, and after a short rest, the column moved on.  As it was, the men were becoming demoralized by the unimaginable fatigue of continuous marching and sleeplessness.  Still, the column rode on, day and night, with few opportunities to rest, and every effort was made to avoid and deceive the enemy as they approached Cincinnati.  

"Morgan's Ohio Raid" by Mort Kunstler
The 2nd Kentucky Cavalry entering Montgomery, Ohio  --  July 14, 1863

As the two brigades, now numbering about 2,000, approached Cincinnati, they began their longest continuous march.  The pace of this leg of the raid was slow and plodding, yet it would be the most punishing that Morgan’s men would ever endure.  Marching by night as close to Cincinnati as possible, the columns skirted north of the city and rode through Glendale.  After destroying a train of rolling stock at Milford on July 14, the force crossed the Little Miami River and surrounded Camp Dennison, where a train of wagons and 200 mules were captured.  On that same day, the raiders rode into Williamsburg, 28 miles east of Cincinnati, having marched more than 90 miles in 35 hours.  Here, they rested and slept like dead men.

Relieved of the suspense that was incident to the march around Cincinnati, and having enjoyed a night’s rest in Williamsburg, the raiders continued eastward in merry spirit.  However, their renewed morale was not to remain, for their march was constantly being interrupted by almost continuous fighting with Home Guards and militia that industriously barricaded the roads.  Between July 15 and 18, they engaged in numerous skirmishes between the towns of Piketon, Jackson, Hamden, Vinton, and Pomeroy.

In his pre-raid planning, Morgan had scouts choose potential crossing points over the Ohio River, whereby he could return his brigades to safe territory, if need be.  These crossing points were normally too shallow for Federal gunboats to negotiate, thereby negating their potential to harass his troops.  However, heavy summer rains had created conditions that now deepened the fords and allowed gunboats to sail the entire length of the Ohio River unhindered.  This brought strong pressure on Morgan and his men to quickly ford the river at Buffington Island.  



battle of buffington island

Meigs County, Ohio
July 19, 1863

Unfortunately, the columns did not reach the ford at Buffington Island until after nightfall on July 18.  It was too late to cross the Ohio River in the dark, and it became known from scouting reports that the ford was protected by a force of infantry supported by artillery.  Even so, early next morning, about 500 men succeeded in crossing the river despite a rising tide.

Shortly thereafter, the troops who had not crossed the Ohio River were attacked by pursuing cavalry columns commanded by Generals Edward H. Hobson and James Shackleford, and by other forces under General Henry Judah that had come up the river.  Judah and Hobson attacked simultaneously, one by the Pomeroy Rd and one by the Chester Rd.  The enemy force included: 14th Illinois Cavalry; Henshaw's Illinois Light Artillery; 5th Indiana Cavalry; 1st, 3rd, 8th, 9th, 11th, and 12th Kentucky Cavalry (US); 2nd and 7th Ohio Cavalry; 43rd Ohio Infantry; 2nd Mounted Tennessee Infantry (US); and Ohio Militia.

At the same time, the gunboat "Moose" and the steamers "Imperial" and "Allegheny Belle" appeared, and they promptly began firing shells and grapeshot into the ranks of the Confederates who, for a short time, made a gallant but hopeless fight.  Morgan's men were shelled from three directions, sending men and horses into panic flight.  Among the last to escape with General Morgan through a gap in the valley were scattered units of the 2nd Kentucky, with Major Thomas Webber leading out the better part of Company A and five other companies.

The ensuing melee and demoralization ended the combat in the dispersion and capture of 700 of Morgan’s command.  Among those captured were Colonels Duke and D. H. Smith.  The escaping remnants of Morgan’s force, about 1000 men, rode north and east to another river crossing.  There, with the Union cavalry in close pursuit, only 330 managed to cross with Colonels Johnson and Grigsby.  General Morgan also rode into the river to escape with them, but when he saw that the greater number of his men would be forced to remain on the Ohio shore due to the fire of the gunboats, he turned and rode back, resolved to share the fate of his men.



end of the great raid

Columbiana County, Ohio
July 20 - 26, 1863

In the aftermath of the attack, General Morgan bestowed a brevet promotion upon Major Webber and placed him in command of the 1st Brigade, while Col. Grigsby took command of the 2nd Brigade.  Another attempt was made to cross the Ohio River at Hockingport, but this was foiled again by the appearance of the gunboats.  Totaling about 800 men, the brigades continued north in a meandering course, looking for a way to safety.  They rode through Nelsonville, Cambridge, Harrisville, Smithfield, Wintersville, and Bergholz, resting as they could along the way.   

Morgan's Cavalry Division
BRIG-GEN John H. Morgan


1st brigade
MAJ Thomas B. Webber

2nd brigade
COL. J. Warren Grigsby

Elements of Various Companies Belonging to
2nd Kentucky Cav Regt 7th Kentucky Cav Regt
5th Kentucky Cav Regt 8th Kentucky Cav Regt
6th Kentucky Cav Regt 10th Kentucky Cav Regt
9th Kentucky Cav Regt 11th Kentucky Cav Regt

A week after the disaster at Buffington Island, Union cavalry struck again on July 26,  near Salineville. In a defensive move, Capt. Ralph Sheldon led Co. C of the 2nd Kentucky to attack the enemy in the last charge of the raid.  This gallant effort proved fruitless, resulting in the capture of 200 and the wounding of 50.  Still, General Morgan and 364 survivors continued to the vicinity of Lisbon, where they found their paths blocked.  There, on the Crubaugh Farm in Columbiana County, General Morgan surrendered to Capt. James Burbick of the Ohio Home Guard.  Capt. Burbick accepted the surrender, granting the condition that Morgan and his officers would be paroled to return home.  In an unscrupulous act, however, the overall Federal commander, General Shackelford, rejected Morgan’s parole.  He also cowardly rejected Morgan’s offer to withdraw his surrender and return to the field of honor as a combatant.

While many of those who were captured were sent to Camp Morton in Indiana, or to Camp Douglas prison in Chicago, Morgan and some of his officers were sent to the Ohio State Penitentiary in Columbus.  At the penitentiary, they were confined and treated as common felons rather than with the respect usually accorded and due to prisoners of war.  However, Morgan and some of his men succeeded in escaping from the penitentiary four months later in a famous and daring bid for freedom on the night of November 26, 1863.

The Great Raid had the effect of forcing the Union army to delay its move against Bragg at Chattanooga and it also caused thousands of Federal troops to be diverted from the front.  This would ultimately tip the scales in favor of the South and bring victory at the Battle of Chickamauga in September.  During the raid, Morgan and his men passed through 52 towns, inflicted 600 casualties, captured and paroled about 6,000 of the enemy, destroyed 34 bridges, disrupted the railroads at more than 60 places, and destroyed military and public stores having a total value of nearly 10 million dollars.  All of this was at a cost of a cavalry division that the Confederacy could ill afford to lose.  Morgan’s force suffered 28 officers killed, 35 wounded; 250 enlisted men killed or wounded; and 2000 captured.  In addition, the legendary 2nd Kentucky Cavalry would never again be at full strength, even though its men would continue the fight in a reorganized command.



rebuilding the command

Morristown, Tennessee Dalton, Georgia  
August 10 - September 15, 1863

Two companies of the 2nd Kentucky – Co. F, under Capt. N.M. Lea, and Co. L, under Capt. John Cooper – along with elements of others, including Company A, successfully forded the Ohio River into the newly created state of West Virginia.  Colonel Adam Rankin "Stovepipe" Johnson was in command as he led the remnants south to safety, avoiding roads and towns. 

By August 10, Col. Johnson had established a camp at Morristown, Tennessee, where they began the process of rebuilding the shattered cavalry command.  As they acquired new equipment and horses, flyers were circulated throughout the region for all of Morgan’s men to report to Morristown for duty.  Slowly, the survivors of the Great Raid were joined by others from Morgan’s command who had previously been unable to travel.  When Company D and Capt. Quirk’s Company of Scouts arrived at Morristown, they were consolidated with 300 men from Gadsen, Alabama.  By September, there were enough men – 700 mounted and 500 dismounted troopers –   to form a Battalion.  

Capt. John B. Dortch - second brigade remanants

Colonel Johnson organized the men of the old 2nd Kentucky Cavalry into one battalion under the command of J.D. Kirkpatrick, who was promoted to Major.  He also arranged for the men to receive their first pay in over 14 months.  This act, alone, endeared Col. Johnson to the men.  Soon thereafter, however, Johnson received orders to move his cavalry to where General Bragg was forming a defense against an expected Federal attack from Chattanooga.  He marched Kirkpatrick’s Battalion to Dalton, Georgia, arriving there on September 15. 

The overall condition of Kirkpatrick’s Battalion was poor, indeed.  It was inadequately equipped and in a sorry state of readiness, with poorly shodden and saddle-less mounts.  So it was that as they traveled to Dalton, whenever they were asked to which regiment they belonged, the proud Kentuckians embarrassingly replied, “East Tennessee Cavalry”.

Organized: July 4, 1861
GEN Joesph Eggleston Johnston

Army of Tennessee
Organized: November 1862
GEN Braxton Bragg

BRIG-GEN Nathan Bedford Forrest

Pegram's Division
BRIG-GEN John Pegram

scott's brigade
COL John S. Scott

2nd Kentucky Cavalry Battalion
LT-COL R. M. Martin
MAJ J. D. Kirkpatrick

COMPANY A - former Lexington Rifles
CAPT Jacob J. Cassell

CAPT  John Castleman
CAPT  N. M. Lea
CAPT  John Cooper
CAPT  Thomas Quirk



the battle of chickamauga

Ringgold, Georgia
September 19 - 20, 1863

Believing that Morgan’s men would be more effective when used as infantry in repelling an attack, General Bragg proposed that they all be dismounted.  General Nathan B. Forrest disagreed, however.  In order to prevent this from happening, he ordered a hasty reorganization.  The dismounted cavalrymen remained under the command of Col. Johnson, while Forrest placed the mounted troopers under the command of Lt.-Col. Robert Martin, in Scott's Brigade of Pegram's Division.   

On September 18, Forrest moved his force towards Chattanooga.  That night, Lt.-Col. Martin camped his command near Reed’s Bridge over Chickamauga Creek, where Forrest addressed the men of the old 2nd Kentucky directly:

"You are 'Morgan’s Men'.  Braver men never went to battle.  Remember, boys, your commander is now in a felon’s cell.  Let 'Morgan' be your battle cry and give the Yankees hell."

The next morning, Forrest let Martin’s Battalion take the advance against the enemy.  So it was that Morgan’s men crossed Reed’s Bridge over Chickamauga Creek and wrote history that day by firing the first shots at the Battle of Chickamauga.  They drove Federal cavalry out of their fortified positions and remained hotly engaged throughout the day, fighting until dusk.  On September 19, they were ordered in support of Breckinridge’s Division.

By evening on September 20, General Rosecrans’ Federal Army of the Cumberland was in full retreat back to Chattanooga, with only General George Thomas’ Command standing strong.  On September 21, Capt. Kirkpatrick took the Battalion and rode with General Forrest to Missionary Ridge, just outside Chattanooga.  There, they skirmished with enemy cavalry and captured some infantry.  This engagement by Morgan’s man was considered by many to be the last shots fired at the Battle of Chickamauga.

Following this, Forrest celebrated the victory by ordering the cavalry formed up to address them.  Riding to the front of Kirkpatrick’s Battalion, he saluted the men and said, 

"Any man who says that Morgan’s men are not good soldiers and fine fighters tells a damn lie!"



command refit

Decatur, Georgia
October - December, 1863

Following the Battle of Chickamauga, Bragg continued to express his desire to dismount Morgan’s cavalry.  In response, General Forrest ordered Colonel Johnson to take Kirkpatrick’s Battalion far from Confederate headquarters to save it from Bragg's plan.  Johnson took them to Decatur, Georgia, just outside Atlanta, where they were reorganized, re-mounted, and re-equipped by November.   

The two battalions were separated.  Dortch went with Forrest up the Chattanooga & Knoxville RR, Kirk with Wheeler on raid through Tn.  Dortch hit Philadelphia, Loudon Marysville, & Knoxville.  Kirk hit McMinnville, Murphreesboro, Shelbyville, and Sugar Creek.  Picket duty vicinity of Chattanooga - placed in Grigsby Brig with 9th and 1st KY.

On November 23, General Grant launched a massive assault against Missionary Ridge with a powerful new army, and the Battalion was ordered to help defend it.  Morale was low, however, especially among the dismounted troopers.  As they gazed down from Missionary Ridge at the unrelenting Federal force below, they didn't realize they were witnessing the beginning of Sherman’s infamous March to the Sea. The defense of Missionary Ridge failed; Confederate forces were outnumbered and outgunned, forcing Bragg to withdraw.  As the Army of Tennessee retreated, the cavalry returned to Decatur to continue its reorganization.  



escape from ohio

Columbus, Ohio
November 27, 1863

Near this time, General Morgan had escaped from the Ohio State Penitentiary in Columbus, and was on his way south to be reunited with his wife, Mattie.  By December, he was in South Carolina, where they spent a peaceful Christmas together in Columbia.

Escape from the Ohio State Penitentiary
Columbus, Ohio   --  November 27, 1863


Choose from the following hyperlinks to view the illustrated unit history.

1857-61     1862     1863     1864     1865     1866-Present